Challah

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wonky
    Participant

This challah is on my list to try this week. Go to "Just a Pinch", put "Abby's Challah" in the search. Love this braiding, and it looks to pretty.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

That is an interesting braid, and the pictures are pretty clear.

I've been practicing a six strand rectangular loaf braid using macrame yarn, but I'm not quite ready to do one in dough.

luvpyrpom
        Participant

I've gotten used to braiding with 6 strands when I make challah. I've done a 4 strand round challah. I'll have to try that 6 strand round and see how it turns out.

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Thanks Wonky! This is a really pretty braid and a different way to make a round challah.

The water to fruit juice ratio is too high if you're making a kosher challah but other than that it looks nice.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I may have to give this recipe a try, it's a challah that is 50% white flour and 50% whole wheat flour with no salt. The author did it in a mold rather than braiding it.
              No Salt Challah

There's an inconsistency between the recipe and the instructions. 3 cups of flour is less than a pound but it talks about it being a 3 pound loaf. It looks like it is about 72% hydration, which is a bit on the moist side but otherwise the recipe appears to be in balance, though the dough weighs less than 27 ounces. It would not surprise me if I had to add a little flour to make it easy to roll out and braid.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.