Buttermilk Crackers from KAF Anniversary Cookbook

Home Forums Baking — Savory Buttermilk Crackers from KAF Anniversary Cookbook

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm not sure where cracker discussions should go, so I'm putting it with savories.

I tried a new recipe for Buttermilk Crackers from the KAF Anniversary Cookbook (p. 365). It uses 1 1/4 cups of whole wheat flour, with the baker's choice of the remaining 3/4 cup of whole grains or flours. I used 6 Tbs. malted wheat flakes and 6 Tbs. old-fashioned oats--with a tablespoon of flax thrown in. (A Tbs. of seeds of choice is listed as an option as well.) I let the dough rest for an hour on the counter before rolling it out 1/16th of an inch thick on parchment. It made nearly four dozen 2-inch crackers. I did need to leave them in the oven, once I'd turned it off for about 20 minutes (checking at 5 minute intervals) to get them to the desired crunchiness, especially with the humidity in the air. After 24 hours, they taste great. I plan to experiment with the whole grains I add in.

For rolling the crackers out, I used my rolling pin from Joseph Joseph. It has large plastic screws on each end, and comes with 4-sizes of rings for rolling different thicknesses. I even used it for pie crust. At home, I have a set of various long strips that I use, but it's nice to have an option. The company is Canadian, so the measurements are metric with English system approximante.

[BTW, I bought the rolling pin at T.J. Maxx, back when only three sizes of rings were available. When the fourth size was introduced, I wrote to the company to ask if I could buy the new ring set--and they kindly sent them to me for free.]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

The crackers are still crunchy six days later--a testament to the recipe and to Tupperware. The taste develops nicely about a day or so after baking. At some point I will try this recipe with the KAF Harvest Grains Blend. These should be good for parties with cheese or dip, but they are tasty without any toppings.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.