Boston Cream Pie Recipe

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Boston Cream Pie Recipe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Italiancook
    Participant

I recall reading that cwcdesign made Boston Cream Pie recently. I thought you might like to compare your recipe to the original from Omni Parker House.

http://www.omnihotels.com/blog/boston-cream-pie-recipe-original/

I went to their site to see if they had their Parker House Rolls recipe posted. They don't, but maybe others will enjoy seeing the Boston Creme recipe.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The Fannie Farmer cookbook supposedly has the original Parker House rolls recipe in it.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Greg Patent wrote what may be the definitive article on the history of Boston Cream Pie for the journal Gastronomica back in 2001. He had it on his website, but it looks like the link is messed up again. I'll drop him a note to see if he can fix it again.

I had a series of emails with Greg a few years back, I was convinced (and he later confirmed) that the original icing on a Boston Cream pie was made using confectioner's fondant. (This is NOT the same thing as cake decorating fondant.) Almost nobody does it that way anymore, though, most use a chocolate ganache, whether it is semisweet or more of a milk chocolate ganache seems to vary depending on what part of the country you're in.

When I took my chocolate academy course last fall, other than the instructor I was the only one there who had ever made confectioner's fondant. It's made sort of like an unflavored fudge, but then is creamed on a marble surface until it becomes crumbly. Then you store it in a sealed jar and after a few days it softens and becomes almost like silly putty. It will last several weeks at that point.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I heard back from Greg, his site got hacked earlier this year and that link hadn't been restored yet. Hopefully he'll be able to get it fixed soon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.