Banana Nut Bread

Home Forums Recipes Banana Nut Bread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I usually make this using a mini-muffin pan (24 muffins per pan), but you can also make it in a cupcake pan, with or without cupcake liners or in a mini-bundt pan. It will also work in an 8" lof pan or in mini-loaf pans.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
      1 cup granulated sugar

Add

2 eggs, one at a time.

Add

1 teaspoon vanilla

Add

2-4 soft bananas 1 to 1 1/2 cups mashed (9-10 ounces peeled)

Mix together:

2 cups AP flour
      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      2 tablespoons cinnamon (optional)

Alternate adding dry ingredients with

1 cup buttermilk

Add:

1 cup raisins
      1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts are both good)

Melt 2 tablespoons butter and use with a brush to grease pans. (Note, if you let the butter melt and mostly resolidify, it makes less of a mess and sticks better to the sides of the pans.) If using a mini-bundt pan, sprinkle a little flour in the pan after brushing it with the butter.

Fill greased pans about 3/4 full. A #60 scoop is about right for a mini-muffin pan.

Baking times:

Mini-muffins: 15-18 minutes (but see note below)
      Cupcakes: 20-24 minutes
      Mini-Bundt: 25-30 minutes
      Mini-Loaf pans: 20-25 minutes
      Loaf pan: 30-55 minutes

They're done when the outer edge begins to brown as it caramelizes. and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out completely dry. (My younger son likes the mini-muffins baked to the point where there is a lot of caramelization on the surface and the sides are almost crisp, probably 20-22 minutes, but there's a fine line between a lot of caramelization and being burnt, so watch them carefully.)

Lately I've been baking the mini-muffins for about 20 minutes, then after I'm done I throw them back in the oven for another 5 or 6 minutes, which makes for a crisper outside.

They will come out of the pan better if you dump them out quickly. (I dump them into a large sheet pan.)

This will yield around 72 mini-muffins, 18-24 cupcake-sized muffins or 12-15 mini-bundt pan muffins. According to MyFitnessPal, 5 of the mini-muffins are 44 carbs.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.