Baker Irene on Making Your Own Flavored Chips Thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Baker Irene on Making Your Own Flavored Chips Thread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

A Flavor I Wish We Had In a Chip

BakerAunt's Note: In this thread, Baker Irene tells how to make your own flavored chips.

I just stumbled on some pumpkin recipes, muffins, bars and so on. The bars were swirled, and/or topped with cheesecake batter/frosting. I am a sucker for cream cheese frosting, my cream cheese pound cake and of course, cheesecake. We all know there those fake white chocolate chips, which taste like sugar and artery cloggers, and the butterscotch chips, nasty as well. I bought TWO bags of those things and tossed out the first recipe and gave away the remaining chips.

But I could be persuaded to buy cream cheese or cheesecake tasting chips. They would be so great in pumpkin bars, brownies, anything but scrambled eggs or coffee. Right? I'm sure I could invent a cheesecake type candy, whether it comprises actual cream cheese, or maybe the LorAnn flavoring. But how to turn it into a chip?? Not the way the recent baker on GBBO did, one piped dot at a time. I guess I've just been attacked by a bad case of wishful thinking.

I have just one thought. I have never made fondant and I'm not sure I want to. But could cheesecake flavored fondant be rolled out in a pasta maker, cut it like thick linguine, then chopped into pieces? I'm not sure I'm up to that kind of experimentation. How long does fondant last? Does it have to be refrigerated?

It may be Indian Summer, with autumn on it's way, but it's still gaspingly hot here. Maybe it's the sinus headache making me goofy. Or, maybe I'm always this way. Hmmm.
      posted by: frick on September 21, 2015 at 4:29 pm in General discussions

reply by: chiara on September 21, 2015 at 5:26 pm
      And maple flavored chips! NJ Trader Joe's sells maple blondies that are wonderful. Clearly, they have maple flavored chips in them but I have never found them for sale.

reply by: frick on September 21, 2015 at 6:15 pm
      Ohhhh. MMMMM. Maple flavor chips. Dreammmming of maple flavor chips.

reply by: swirth on September 21, 2015 at 7:28 pm

They make pumpkin chips
      -
      http://bakingbites.com/2014/10/nestle-tollhouse-pumpkin-spice-chips-revi...

reply by: Livingwell on September 21, 2015 at 8:05 pm
      Frick, that's what himself says about some of his medication making him goofy. I ask how he can tell! From the thread title, I, at first, thought you were talking about potato chips - ha-ha!

Based on my one experience using Lorann's cream cheese flavored emulsion, I'm not sure I'd buy cream cheese flavored chips. They'd have to be pretty spectacular for me to buy them, and I'd want a sample first to see how they taste. I'm with you on butterscotch flavored chips, but admit to buying the white chips for a multi-chip cookie recipe. I used to buy Wal-Mart's Great Value brand of white chocolate chips. They actually included cocoa butter and were cheaper than the name brand, overly sweet, artificially flavored, white chips, so were a real deal! Unfortunately, those secret cameras that record everything I buy caught me buying them *again* and they were discontinued.

The maple and pumpkin chips sound like good possibilities.

reply by: LorisBakingAgain on September 21, 2015 at 9:13 pm
      I hate when I start using something and then it gets discontinued...or "improved" so that it tastes completely different. That happens way too often. And good chips of any kind are getting harder to find. Most are becoming bland things that taste like wax and powdered sugar.

I'm not sure about cheesecake chips either. I know IHOP has cheesecake pancakes but they seem to be made with chopped up bits of cheesecake and then served immediately. Not much help for cookies and things like that but I guess refrigerated goodies could be made with cheesecake chunks.

One of my sons has read about brownies with bacon bits in them and wants me to try to duplicate that. Chocolate covered bacon is good so why not brownie covered bacon bits?

reply by: bkramer947 on September 21, 2015 at 9:52 pm
      Oh wow, what a great question! Honestly, I would try just about any chip if KAF made them! The ones you mentioned sound great and how about....lemon...key lime....raspberry? I would buy them all!

reply by: Mike Nolan on September 21, 2015 at 11:08 pm
      Confectioner's fondant will last 4-6 months if properly stored. I don't know how long cake decorating (rolled) fondant lasts, forever??

reply by: Livingwell on September 22, 2015 at 7:23 am
      Welcome, bkramer! King Arthur Flour offers flavored chips. Here is the link for the chocolate chips:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/ingredients/chocolate

And here is the link for the other flavors:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/ingredients/flavored-chips

I bought lemon flavored chips earlier in the year, but don't see them now. Maybe they were seasonal. Raspberry sounds good! Hopefully, that will be something they'll consider in the future.

reply by: bakeraunt on September 22, 2015 at 8:31 am
      nuts.com also has flavored chips

reply by: Mrs Cindy on September 24, 2015 at 8:17 am
      I have saved rolled fondant in the freezer........forever! I wonder if you could, as Frick suggests, knead the cream cheese flavoring into the rolled fondant, run it through the pasta machine into sheets, then through the pasta machine to make angel hair pasta, then cross-cut with a knife to make small chunks. It might work. Certainly a lot less work than piping individual dots onto a piece of parchment. I don't have that kind of patience or dexterity.

Huuuuummmmmm.......Frick, you have given us something to think about. All those favors from LorAnn. Made into baking chips/chunks with plain fondant as the basis. Really something to think about. Getting the flavor right will be the key.~Cindy

reply by: BakerIrene on September 25, 2015 at 5:16 pm
      Use any kind of real white chocolate for a start. Melt over very low heat in a double boiler. Remove from heat when half melted.

Use the LorAnn cheesecake oil NOT the emulsion. The oil is formulated for candy. Add to taste. It is quite intense but the end product will be right.

Spread the chocolate onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Chill and chop into small cubes. Much faster than droplets and they bake the same.

I have also made bark with the LorAnn pineapple candy flavour and finely chopped candied fruit. Too wicked good to keep more than a small amount in the house. Had very poor success with those emulsions.

FYI fondant will NOT bake the same. It will either dissolve in a wet batter or harden up in a cookie.

reply by: frick on September 27, 2015 at 3:05 pm
      You are so cool. Thanks for what obviously is from your own experience. I expected one of the drawbacks to using fondant is that it would dissolve, being mostly sugar, while commercially manufactured chips are probably primarily hydrogenated shortening. Also, thanks for the advice comparing the LorAnn Oils to the emulsions. I have picked up a few of the emulsions at T J Maxx and most likely will just use them to bump up cupcakes, etc. of the same flavoring.

reply by: BakerIrene on September 28, 2015 at 6:38 pm
      Yes it's from my own experience.

I find the emulsions make great icing but they are too wimpy for cake batter etc. I use either extract (which is oil diluted 1+2) or a mixture of extract and oil in cake and cookie batter. The LorAnn citrus oils are all natural and I have not been able to tell the diff between them and Boyajian. Neither could the dog that fell in love with tangerine oil in the butter based oatmeal cookies.

I have very occasionally found that the candy oil can be bitter and LorAnn has always replaced this for free if reported right after purchase. I guess they know what causes that problem.

The LorAnn Flavor Fountain line is really good in other foods, and just about strong enough for uncooked candy. I even used them to boost the flavour of jam made from frozen fruit but you must add the LorAnn stuff after the jam comes off the heat.

For white chocolate I can't recommend a brand because my local grocery chain "house" brand is what I use. On sale at 99 cents for 100 grams it is also an excellent deal. The package says "Swiss" but there is no other way I can identify. I suspect Callebaut.

reply by: frick on September 28, 2015 at 11:30 pm
      What grocery chain, may I ask? In case I am in Austin, I might be able to track some down to try out. I can get Callebaut at a few places around town, but either certainly more costly, or, in some cases, a drive across the city. Which, as you may surmise, is a trek. It would be neat to taste test it against my chunk Callebaut, $8.88 per pound and an hour's drive.

reply by: BakerIrene on September 29, 2015 at 4:08 pm
      Metro Foods it's Franco-Canuckistani.

If you are close to Wal-Mart check out their "international foods" (unless that is another Canuckistani feature of the superstores). They have various European generic brands here that taste good and aren't too much more than the house brand.

But Callebaut is good, that was the first brand that worked for me. Lindt made very dry crumbly truffle filling as soon as I added any alcohol.

reply by: frick on September 29, 2015 at 4:23 pm
      You are too funny! I doubt I will find Metro Foods in Austin so I may have to visit a WalMart one of these days. Interesting about Lindt. I haven't made truffles in forever, so long I can't remember what chocolate I used. I doubt if I used alcohol, though I do love rum, franboise, etc. Most of my chocolate requirements are met with Trader Joe's or Ghirardelli for the ordinary things. I can't wait for cooler weather. Cookies are a pain because I also hate baking on two racks. Cookies take so much time for that reason! And I have to make at least 3-4 different recipes to settle on one for the upcoming birthday. Then in today's feed, there is the recipe for Compost Cookies so that is what I want to make. I will be buying some Rice Chex and pretzels for another go, though will forgo the coffee grounds.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.