Back home!

Home Forums Member News Back home!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

I got back home Saturday from staying with my sister.We decided to take a short mini vacation went a couple days to Panama City ,Fla.My sister wanted to walk on the beach but it was so hot and she is on oxygen,just couldn't do it.We had a great time just being together,ate some wonderful fresh seafood,laughed about old times and did a lot of sight seeing.Heat index was 105*Then we went back to her home and stayed five more days.
      When I looked in my pantry yesterday I saw my bread flour was full of weevils and it was just bought 2-3 weeks ago.Glad the container was sealed well and they didn't get all in the pantry.We keep our home pretty cool 74* so I was really shocked.Oh well..
      Glad to be home and I've been catching up on all y'alls posts.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

I wondered where you were, Joan! You think those weevils must have come in to your house in the flour? I hope you get ride of them quickly.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The most common form of bugs in flour is the Indian meal moth. There are pheromone traps for them, and they work fairly well. I've fought several invasions of them, and also dealt with warehouse or cabinet beetles, which are harder to kill off, and there aren't pheromone traps for them.

Bugs can arrive in flours, pasta and dry pet foods, I've even found warehouse beetles in the bottom of the paper bag. I found some Indian meal moths in a bag of wild rice once, and once in trail mix, though I'm not sure if those were the source or just a place they spread to. Putting flour in the freezer for 2-3 days is said to destroy both the eggs and any larvae, though I don't know if that's been scientifically tested.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I used to be on a cigar forum. It seems the bugs that infest flour is the same one that likes cigars. What they said was 24 hours at zero degrees killed off the eggs. But as it takes a while for the product to get down to 0 degrees, 2 or 3 days in the freezer should do it.

I've only had one time where I found a bug in a bag of flour, I guess I've been lucky.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I had never seen so many weevils or whatever they were and they were very alive and crawling in the canister.I took the whole canister outside dumped the flour in a big bag and thoroughly sprayed it with my husbands insect killer.I'm so glad I didn't see one in the pantry!I was pissed!They had to come in the flour and I always look inside bag before I dump the flour or meal.One time many years ago I opened a bag of cornmeal and you could see almost like webs of stringy stuff all around the top of bag in the trash it went.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Joan Simpson.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I've found bugs in our unsweetened baking chocolate once or twice, I don't know what kind they were. I keep it in plastic bags these days.

I know one time I opened a flour canister and there were larvae in it, plus several moths escaped, and it took a while to get that infestation under control.

BakerAunt
                Participant

That was not a great welcome home for you, Joan, but I am glad that you got the problem under control. I'm glad you and your sister had a great time. It's good to have you back with us at Nebraska Kitchen.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Thanks everyone---I'm glad to be back too!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.