Anxiety Baking?

Home Forums General Discussions Anxiety Baking?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I was watching Stephen Colbert last night while waiting for my bread to finish baking, and there was a segment (not a great one, alas) on "anxiety baking," which apparently is now considered a trend. I googled it, and came up with this article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/12/baking-anxiety-millennials/578404/

I hope that it is correct that more people are baking these days. I'm not sure that it should all be attributed to anxiety.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I've never found Colbert very funny.

skeptic7
        Participant

I was going to refute this but A) I don't know many millenials B) Fads are fun. If everyone in your social group are baking the same cookies, you have funny stories to share. Like I would have had the biggest, bestest cookies but my SO came through the kitchen and they disappeared. C) Does Colbert know many millenials? Perhaps its just this one group that took to cookie baking and there are oodles of support millenials who just take pictures, offer support and disapper Beta versions ( millenials don't have mistakes they have beta recipes )

BakerAunt
          Participant

The original article was on The Atlantic website, which is where the Colbert staff found it. I did not find the article itself convincing, and there did not seem to be much else on the topic in my Google search, although I was in a hurry. The author may be observing this phenomenon among friends, but that does not rise to enough evidence for a trend. My thought is that there may be more "entry-level" baking--cookies and the occasional cake--occurring among millennials, although how often they do it would need to be assessed.

I do bake when anxious. After Sept. 11, I needed to bake bread, and I've also done so at other stressful times in my life. When I was younger, after issues with a senior faculty member, I baked buns and shared them with a friend and said this was Name Withheld's Head rolls. That was back when I kneaded by hand. However, I have constantly baked since moving into my own apt. in college, and I bake when I am happy, and I bake when I need bread. I'd say it is integrated into my life. I did like the point that people who work in fields that can be more abstract, or where it takes a while to see results, tend to enjoy working on something with their hands where the results are seen more quickly. It is also a way of balancing all areas of the brain.

I've always said that the world would be a better place if more people baked. It teaches process and patience.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I use to bake when stressed,kneading by hand.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.