Almost A Disaster

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Almost A Disaster

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wonky
    Participant

If you have read the posting regarding the braided rolls that I made, I have an interesting little tid-bit about that. As stated, I first made the batch of my white bread, and then the sweet dough for my braided rolls. As per usual, I raise my dough in my oven with just the oven lite on. The bread dough raised beautifully, and I deflated it for a second rise in the bowl, put it back in the warm oven to do it's thing again. THEN, I made the sweet dough, and put that in the oven to raise. I waited, and waited, and checked and checked, but the dough just did not rise.

I had used the exact some instant yeast, out of the same exact container that I keep in my freezer for the afore mentioned white bread dough. Not wanting to throw out this highly enriched dough, I had a problem. I finally decided to take some action. I dumped the dough out on my counter, and patted it out somewhat. I then mixed a teaspoon of the same instant yeast in approx. 3 tablespoons of warm H2O and let it bubble a bit. I poured the yeast/water mixture over the dough, and spread it around with my hand. I then added a small amount of extra flour, and kneaded the yeast into the dough. I put it back in the oven and POOF...worked like a charm. I have never had an experience with possibly killing the yeast with the warm milk, but the only reason I can imagine is that I must have had the milk to warm.

I was very glad I had saved my dough, especially that the little braided rolls turned out so great. SIGH..............

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Hmm, yeast dies at 138 degrees, which is more than just 'warm' milk.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks for posting about this experience Wonky. It's good to know that sometimes dough that does not seem to be rising can be saved.

Italiancook
          Participant

I agree with BakerAunt. Thanks, Wonky, for posting your save.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Wonky I saved bread once before same thing happened to me but I had to go to town and buy fresh.

skeptic7
              Participant

I once wrecked a batch of dough by dissolving the yeast in cold water instead of warm.

KIDPIZZA
                Participant

If you have read the posting regarding the braided rolls that I made, I have an interesting little tid-bit about that. As stated, I first made the batch of my white bread, and then the sweet dough for my braided rolls. As per usual, I raise my dough in my oven with just the oven lite on. The bread dough raised beautifully, and I deflated it for a second rise in the bowl, put it back in the warm oven to do it’s thing again. THEN, I made the sweet dough, and put that in the oven to raise. I waited, and waited, and checked and checked, but the dough just did not rise.

I had used the exact some instant yeast, out of the same exact container that I keep in my freezer for the afore mentioned white bread dough. Not wanting to throw out this highly enriched dough, I had a problem. I finally decided to take some action. I dumped the dough out on my counter, and patted it out somewhat. I then mixed a teaspoon of the same instant yeast in approx. 3 tablespoons of warm H2O and let it bubble a bit. I poured the yeast/water mixture over the dough, and spread it around with my hand. I then added a small amount of extra flour, and kneaded the yeast into the dough. I put it back in the oven and POOF…worked like a charm. I have never had an experience with possibly killing the yeast with the warm milk, but the only reason I can imagine is that I must have had the milk to warm.

I was very glad I had saved my dough, especially that the little braided rolls turned out so great. SIGH…………..

WONKY:
                  Good morning my dear friend. I have read your post with much interest. I have written on this baking dilemma many times before in our old BAKING CIRCLE days as well as other baking sites that I was a member of.

The culprit is this when employing milk in a either a lean or rich dough recipe that also contains YEAST we must heat this milk to simmer... 190 degrees & hold it for about 20/30 seconds this excercize will destroy the "PROTEASE ENZYME" known to weaken & disable the yeast in a recipe. Cool milk to room temp & proceed with the recipe.

I do not know of your recipe for your rich dough however, when an excessive amount of sugar is employed the yeast must be increased. If the weight of the sugar exceeds the weight of the flour to over 13% you must increase the weight of the yeast because all the hydration in your recipe is being used up by the sugar & flour. SOOOO, add 1,50% as much instant yeast as to the flour in weight.
                  Wonky if you wish to discuss it further send me a wire.

Enjoy the day my friend.

~CASS/KIDPIZZA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.